Cat & Genny Operator Training
Detection of underground services
CITB Approved | Duration 3hrs
The Location and Avoidance of Underground Apparatus course refers specifically to ensuring workers are aware of the dangers involved in excavating on public highways and private land and to train them to detect and avoid most buried utilities’ apparatus. The aim of this course is to provide the candidate with a knowledge and understanding of the safety procedures and precautions before and during excavation work.
The Objectives of the Course is to enable delegates to:
- Become aware of and understand current legislation
- The hazards that are or could be present
- To understand the colour coding of utility services
- To carry out pre-operational checks
- To carry out search techniques
- To reference utility services drawing To successfully complete a practical assessment
- To successfully complete a theory assessment
Who should attend?
Everyone connected with excavation will benefit from this course, including designers and planners, safety personnel, site management and all operational staff including machine operators.
- Introduction to course and registration course aim and learning outcomes
- Legislation and reference documents road/footway construction
- Utility positioning and identification hazards
- Risk assessment
- Safe systems of work
Presentation: ‘It could never happen to me’
- Introduction to Utility service apparatus
- Utility service drawing exercise
- Presentation ‘know your ground’
- Introduction to operating techniques and practice session
- Practical and Theory assessments
Mix of classroom-based theory and practical exercises.